Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Just some thoughts.

I'm learning some things from being pregnant a second time. First, when someone tells you that every pregnancy is different. They're wrong. So far, mine have been the same. I'm banking on that now because with Joelle my all-the-time sickness went away a few weeks before the second trimester. I hope that's the case! Little girl has been so patient with a very sick mommie. At this point, I no longer believe anyone that says "each kid is different" either. I'm thinking we'll have a very collicky, poor sleeping baby. That will grow into a very delightful toddler, like Joelle. Second, you worry so much more with the second baby. I guess we were blissfully unaware of just how many awful things can happen to this baby growing inside of you the first go round. On the flip side, I think we truly appreciate what a miracle a healthy baby is. A lot of people answer, "just a healthy baby," when asked if they want a girl or a boy. I say that... and really mean it this time. My mom confirmed that, although my worry has somewhat been shaped by a recent tragedy with my friend's baby, we just know more with the second one. She worried constantly about me, but the thought never crossed her mind that something would be wrong with Joey. Third, Joelle has no idea what's going to be happening in her little life. There's not much we can do to prepare her. I have complete faith that she will be an incredible big sister, but it's going to really shock her. She's excited by the idea, but doesn't really understand. She doesn't like change... I know this about her, so it should be interesting. She noticed that I had on a "sleeping" shirt to go work out the other day and pointed it out. I said, "mommie is already growing and I don't like wearing tighter work out shirts." She said, "Mommie, I don't want you to get bigger!" Oh boy. If that bothers her.... see what I mean?

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Please, do not let me know about your friend's baby tragedy or any other unpreventable pregnancy tragedies for that matter.

A long time ago, my plans were for a boy first, then a girl, and finally a surprise. Today I think that, if I can conceive, I just want a healthy, normal baby.

6/27/2006 10:56:00 AM

 
Blogger Petie said...

Yeah, I won't share - I know one of your friends had a sad story, too.

On a lighter note, did you know that you actually can choose the sex of your baby now? It costs, of course, but it apparently works. I think there are major social implications to this and it's not a good idea, but intriguing none the less: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3990134/

6/27/2006 11:00:00 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes. A long time ago I thought I would do anything to get my children exactly how I wanted them (boy-girl). But now, that I'm no spring chicken and who knows if we may have more than one, I'm leaning towards letting nature surprise me. I'll be fine with whatever is meant to be... If we get a girl, I may stop there. And if we get a boy, I may try for a girl.

6/27/2006 11:31:00 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Which would be fine too. I read the article Petie linked to, and it seems a little excessive, and obsessive... Going in-vitro to get a specific gender sounds like too much for me.

6/27/2006 12:37:00 PM

 
Blogger Petie said...

very interesting stats about having a boy vs. a girl:

http://www.in-gender.com/Gender/Gender_Odds.aspx

6/27/2006 12:38:00 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home